Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Purpose of the Church?

Jim,
I need some perspective on knocking around a few questions, if you want to share these with the RATS guys that would be great

I’m trying to pull together some messages on the definition of the church- preaching, sacraments, discipline what passages would you recommend exegetically to go from, also are there other hallmarks, defining characteristics of the church you would stress?

I’ve also been thinking about this question in light of some of the council speakers.
What is the primary purpose of the church? Is the highest calling of the church to save the lost? While I believe it is an essential purpose I think we lose something by making it the primary purpose- The glory of God is primary.
In the Westminster cathechism is the chief end of man also seen as being the purpose of the church? I haven’t spent much time in the WCF but was wondering if you had any insight into it.
Thanks for thinking
Cheers
Mark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Laura Spaulding and I am a member of Parkway Fellowship Church in Houston where David Seckinger served as pastor. I came upon the “R.A.T.S.” blog accidentally, and was very encouraged and blessed by the postings and the list of purposes for the “society”. The last post in regards to the purpose of the church definitely struck a cord with me as our church is working through this question. Also I love knowing that it is not a contradiction to be both reformed and Alliance

So the real reason for my message…we are actively looking for a pastor but unfortunately most of the resumes that are coming to us through the CMA have not been a good matches for our church theologically or even in regards to the purpose of the church. My husband is an elder and a member of the Pastor Church Team and while certainly our entire board is not reformed, we are looking for a pastor who is primarily a shepherd who teaches his flock the Word. Are you currently aware of anyone who you might recommend for us to consider as a candidate? If so can you please ask them to send us a resume.

Thank you!

Benny and Laura Spaulding
713-398-8460
lspaulding@thejoyschool.org